We don't want to rush you
but your taxes are due in:


New option for charitable giving

If you are age 70 1/2 or older, there is another option for you to consider when making charitable contributions. Beginning after December 31, 2005, you may be allowed to make a charitable contribution of up to $100,000 of distributions from your IRA. Although there is no charitable contribution deduction allowed,

you are not required to include the distribution in your income for the year the donation is made. This option is limited and may not be the best option for some taxpayers. First, the charitable contribution distribution is allowed from 2006 through 2013, with the maximum contribution limited at $100,000. The taxpayer must be over the age of 701/2 and currently taking his or her required minimum distributions. Only the distributions that are otherwise required to be included in income are eligible for the charitable contribution distribution. The distribution must be made to the charity by a trustee directly to the charity. This means that a distribution that is made to the IRA owner and then turned over to the charity, does not qualify.

Using this option to reduce the balance in your IRA can be a valuable estate planning tool. The value of your IRA is required to be included in your estate at death. Currently estates with a value in excess of $5 million are subject to estate tax. Contributing some of your IRA to a charity while you are still living is an effective way to reduce your taxable estate.

Tax Tips Small Business

  • Employee Meals: When Does the 50-Percent Limit Apply?

    Don't reduce your deduction if you aren't required to

    In most cases, an employer is only allowed to deduct one-half of the expense that is paid to employees for meals. However, in some instances, the full amount is allowed.

    Read more ...

Small Business Quick Tip

  • Like Kind Exchange

    If you are disposing of property used in your business, you may want to consider a like-kind exchange to defer the taxable gain on the sale.
Friday, 23rd March 2018

What is an Enrolled Agent and why should I care?

Click Here to find out


NATP Member

Follow us on


Tax Tips Personal

  • Public Safety Officers Get a Tax Break

    Tax savings for health care costs

    Beginning in 2007, retired public safety officers, or those who have separated from service due to disability, get a tax break for health care costs. If you are a retired public safety officer,

    Read more ...

Personal Quick Tip

  • Qualified Tuition Plan

    It doesn't appear that a college education will get cheaper any time soon. Look into establishing a qualified tuition plan for your children. The earnings in the account grow tax-free. As long as the funds are spent on qualified education expenses, there are no tax consequences. Plus, there may be an added tax benefit at your state level.