Know the rules before claiming a dependent

If you are a divorced or separated parent, the rules for determining which one of you can claim the children as dependents is confusing at best. A few years ago, the IRS created rules that provided a uniform definition of a child for purposes of claiming certain tax benefits such as the head of household filing status, the child tax credit, the dependent care credit, arid the earned income tax credit.

When parents divorce, the decision of who will claim the children is generally outlined in the divorce decree. In many cases, the judge will award to the noncustodial parent the dependency exemption for the children because he or she is paying child support while the children reside with the custodial parent. This arrangement tends to even out the tax burden somewhat by allowing the noncustodial parent a deduction for the child's personal exemption since there is no deduction for child support payments.

This works great when the parents abide by the judge's ruling. There are cases where they do not. This is when the trouble starts. Why? Because the IRS doesn't care what the divorce decree states. The IRS makes the assumption that the custodial parent is entitled to the dependency deduction-period. The only exception to this assumption is when the custodial parent releases the claim by signing Form 8332, Release of Claim to Exemption for Child of Divorced or Separated Parents. Prior to 2009, the noncustodial parent could attach oages from a divorce decree or similar statement which must contain the same information-the name of the child(ren), the tax year to which it applies, and the name and social security number of the parent releasing the claim. Starting in 2009, the noncustodial parent can no longer attach the pages of the divorce decree that states he or she is entitled to the dependency exemption and satisfy the waiver requirement. Form 8332 must be used.

In the event the custodial parent refuses to sign the waiver and claims the children, the noncustodial parent cannot claim the same children. If both parents claim the same children, the IRS will send a notice stating that there has been an error. Each parent's refund will be adjusted to reflect the denial of the dependency exemptions until the matter is settled. If the custodial parent still refuses to release the claim to the other parent, the only recourse is to go back to the judge that issued the original divorce decree and have the ruling enforced. Until that is done, the IRS will award the dependency exemptions to the custodial parent provided that parent can prove the children lived in his or her home for more than half of the year.

Tax Tips Small Business

  • Do You Know How Much Your Business Is Worth?

    Tips for placing a value on your business

    There are several reasons why you should know the value of your business. if you are planning to sell your business, the general rule is that you should sell it for fair market value. In many instances the term "fair market value" is somewhat ambiguous. In the simplest sense, fair market value is what a willing buyer would pay a willing seller, with each party knowing all the pertinent facts.

    Read more ...

Small Business Quick Tip

  • Employer Provided Education

    Employer-provided education assistance benefits of $5,250 provided under a written plan are excludable from wages. The education doesn't need to be job-related to qualify.
Friday, 22nd February 2019

What is an Enrolled Agent and why should I care?

Click Here to find out


NATP Member

Follow us on


Tax Tips Personal

  • Is an Inheritance Taxable?

    In most cases, an inheritance is not taxable to you, but there are exceptions

    At some point, you may inherit money or property that, in most cases, is not taxable to you. Life insurance proceeds are included in the deceased person's estate, but are not taxable to the beneficiaries. Bank accounts and other income-producing assets such as stocks are not taxable to you when received, but the income these assets generate is taxable to you.

    Read more ...

Personal Quick Tip

  • Mutual Fund Cost Basis

    If you own mutual funds, it is important to keep track of your reinvested dividends. These dividends increase your cost basis resulting in a lower capital gain when you sell the fund.