Are you getting the credit you deserve?

If you are an employer in the food and beverage industry, you may be entitled to a tax credit for the social security and Medicare taxes you pay on your employees' tip income. You must meet both of the following requirements to qualify for the credit:

  • You had employees who received tips from customers for providing, delivering, or serving food or beverages for consumption; and
  • You paid or incurred employer social security and Medicare taxes on these tips.

The credit applies only to tips received by food and beverage employees. It is not applicable to other tipped employees.

The credit equals the social security and Medicare taxes you paid on the tips received by the employees. However, no credit is given for tips used to meet the federal minimum wage rate of $7.25 per hour. For example, if you paid the employee $5.75 per hour and applied tips of $1.50 per hour to reach the $7.25 minimum wage, then the $1.50 per hour in tips cannot be used toward the credit. If, however, you paid each employee an amount equal to or more than the minimum wage without including tips, then you can compute the credit on all reported tips.

Since it is an income tax credit, claimed on an income tax return, you may use it to offset any regular income tax liability, but not employment tax liabilities. A credit is a dollar-for-dollar reduction of your regular tax liability, where an expense deduction only reduces your taxable income. Therefore, this credit can be more beneficial.

Tax Tips Small Business

  • Starting Your Own Business?

    Here are a few quick tips to help you reduce taxes

    Open a separate business checking account. Many small business owners don't realize the complications that can arise from using their personal checking account to pay for business expenses. If business expenses are mixed in with personal expenses, the IRS may disallow them.

    Read more ...

Small Business Quick Tip

  • Employer Provided Education

    Employer-provided education assistance benefits of $5,250 provided under a written plan are excludable from wages. The education doesn't need to be job-related to qualify.
Saturday, 25th May 2019

What is an Enrolled Agent and why should I care?

Click Here to find out


NATP Member

Follow us on


Tax Tips Personal

  • Gambling Income and Losses

    Six Tips on Gambling Income and Losses

    Whether you roll the dice, play cards or bet on the ponies, all your winnings are taxable. The IRS offers these six tax tips for the casual gambler.

    Read more ...

Personal Quick Tip

  • Mutual Fund Cost Basis

    If you own mutual funds, it is important to keep track of your reinvested dividends. These dividends increase your cost basis resulting in a lower capital gain when you sell the fund.